Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother Day, 2010

BTK here . Catchy title, huh. Thought you might be tired of that chronological date stuff. At first, I was not going to post today because I've been focused on another "no fun" holiday without my "P". But I have read about and experienced some incredible moms recently. Because I was inspired by their stories, I thought it only fitting to share their stories despite my initial inclinations.



First, there is "B" (the runner). B is a full-time employed mom of two and a great blog writer (check her out here) who participated in a 13 mile half marathon on May 7th. After her husband and children, running is her passion. This family is truly remarkable. We have only met online recently. But her stories read with much enthusiasm and passion and she provides great pictures. A great mom, indeed.



Next, there's "M" (the teacher). "M" went to college with my son, BW, and married one of his best friends. "M" is a SAHM who just this year decided that homeschooling would be the best choice for her children. She has undertaken this task without reservation. She and her husband "K" have also completed the pre-adoption process to welcome an Ethiopian baby or toddler into their family. Yet another amazing young family. They are currently on the approved waiting list with Ethiopian government. Time will tell. She shares her amazing story, chapter by chapter, here . "M" also is a spectacular photographer.. Read her story. You will not be disappointed.


Next, there's "C" (the SAHM + dynamo). "C" and her husband "K" ( as I may have told you before) welcomed ( through open adoption) Bella into their home in February, 2010. Bella is a special needs child who has been diagnosed with Septo-Optic-Dysplashia. "C", her mom, is an adoption expert ( at least by my definition). In addition to Bella, her younger daughter, Beauty, was also adopted from Guatemala. Their family of of five is completed by big brother, Bear, at the ripe old age of four. "C" and "K" are young, energetic, enthusiastic parents ready to save the world one child at a time. This past week "C" spearheaded a fund-raising effort for Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago which raised over $1500 in just three days using FaceBook. Read her family story here. I am proud to be a small part of this family as the godfather designate for baby "Bella".

All of these strong, young moms put me in mind of my own mother. Not so much in the way I knew her as an adult. But, how similar she must've been to these young moms at an earlier age mirroring their strength, fortitude and courage. As I've mentioned before, I was physically challenged as a child. Some would say, even more today. I can only imagine, by reading these young mom's stories, what it must have been like for my own mother in those early years. Through them and their stories, I have grown a deeper appreciation for what my mom did for me. Although, she went to her reward in 2004, and I did not tell her enough, I remember her fondly today... Thanks, mom. I love you.

And last but not least, my "P". She raised our sons to be the men that they are today. She allowed me to help, from time to time, except with the " teaching them how to walK". "Watching your father will only confuse you", she would say with a big smile. Truth be told. They could imitate my gait almost as good as me. Children need their moms. I would give all I have to bring her back for them on Mother's Day. Even I am not that good.. sorry.

So, as we celebrate another Mother's Day. I found a different way to honor moms.. Thanks to all who contributed and those of you who read.

No comments: