Monday, May 3, 2010

5/03/2010

BTK here. Thanks for stopping back. Things are pretty much “status quo” here. Remodeling goes on. Life continues to happen. Work continues, and while necessary, is exciting for me but boring for you... so we skip it.

Fast forward to the weekend (5/1-5/2)

I was alone for all of it. I actually didn’t mind. As the self-imposed, monastic silence continues in the household, I’m actually getting more comfortable with the alone / down time in my life, once again (more on that later)

BW went to help a friend (of his girlfriend) move. (Didn’t Seinfeld have rules about helping strangers move ?) Then, BW was going to the city to hangout with her when the job was done. Girlfriend picked up BW before noon, Saturday, and off they went. As of this writing (5/3 pm), he is still not home. So, one must assume that a good time is being had by all.

BP and AP were also off to parts unknown about noon, Saturday( 5/1). Came back to change clothes and nap on Saturday night, then, on Sunday, off for the afternoon on yet another quest for fun and excitement.

I had free run of the house all weekend and I ran it on my schedule, in my underwear (for part of the day), for a change. Probably, TMI, sorry.

I did laundry. I ran errands (I was fully dressed by then). I actually felt like cooking and made a dinner for myself Saturday night. That is something I never do anymore when my house mates are around. You see, I don’t cook well enough to match many of their tastes or any of their skills and sometimes do not really care for what they eat. Why be embarrassed. I wait for the “alone” opportunities and satisfy myself.

After dinner, I watched some DVD movies on my LCD TV. The TV and stand are too big for my bedroom / office. But, with the house empty, I could sit in my rocker (it’s kinda broken –need a new one) in the family room and be comfortable.

Sunday. I bought and wrote out some cards for birthdays and mom’s day and mailed them. Actually felt like “cooking” again, if you can call a BLT … cooking. But, I had no proper ingredients, damn. Off to the grocery, on a mission. $62.00 later (no alcohol).. I’m home with all the fixings. Visited all five food groups: Bacon, Italian Sausage, Vienna Beef Hot Dogs, NY Strip Steak, Other Stuff. My BLT was fabulous (i.e thick cut, hickory smoked bacon, romaine lettuce and off the vine tomatoes on a lightly toasted hoagie roll with mayo) As I write this on Monday (5/3), I am contemplating leftovers (even I can’t eat a whole pound of bacon alone). The remainder of the shopping trip’s “spoils” will appear on a menu in the very near future.

To my dear readers who are of the vegetarian ilk, I love you all so much that I’m eating “your share” and mine, too.Nothing goes to waste. It’s a nasty job. But, someone has to do it. Glad to oblige.

About being alone. At first, when Patti left me, it was like she was away at work or the store and would be back in a few hours. After a while, I realized that she was NEVER coming back. I could not stand it. I have been plagued for a long time with the negative concept of “being alone”. Even with people around, I was alone.

For the first time, in a long time, this past weekend, I felt different. I had no schedule to follow or “must do” list to complete. I was alone, yes, but, not really. I could comfortably call Patti to mind and she would have loved the White Sox games I watched (they won). She would have hated the Rambo movies. I smiled when I thought of that. My friends C, K and the Littles were celebrating a 4th Birthday for the big brother, Bear. Thinking of that made me smile, too. So, being alone gives you time to relax, think, reflect and plan. I guess I did that. It made me feel so good. I’ll do it again , soon


Yes, I did eat the leftover bacon... another great BLT.

Thanks for being there... I am always glad to be here..... I wish you all, enough.

1 comment:

Lost A Sock said...

You wrote this so well, and I'm very glad to see that you are settling into yourself. I can't imagine what you and your family have been through, but I'm here, reading. Thank you for sharing. :)