Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 10, 2010

BTK here. I thought I'd start off easy since I am new to this blogging stuff and perhaps just record my day, so far, for later reference. I started work about 8:30am.

Oh yeah, work. I didn't tell you about that. I am a QA engineer which means I test software. In my case, I test web-based software specifically designed to provide payroll, human resource and tax solutions for the customers of the company I work for. This is my story, not theirs. No advertisements or solicitations will be forthcoming other than to say it is a great company to work for because I'm allowed to work from home. Right now, I'm doing that five days a week. As the weather improves here in Chicagoland, I may venture back to the office (50 miles one way) occasionally. I do miss the in-person interaction with my colleagues. Hopefully, they feel the same about me. My manager is very flexible as long as I complete my assignments on time. She lives and works from her home on a farm in northwestern Oregon. Pretty progressive company, huh ?

So the work day went pretty much as scripted. E-mails, IM's ( we use an in-house version of Spark IM since lots of folks work remotely), support requests from colleagues and with the workday ending as expected. No drama or crisis. That's great.

However, as you all know, while working, life also happens.

I am CONSIDERING reorganizing my finances (i.e. mortgage, student loans, home equity line, credit cards, etc.) to perhaps consolidate and take advantage of the low interest rates. I have found a bank who, I think, actually seems to care about customers. Once again, this is my story, not theirs. No advertisements or solicitations will be forthcoming. My mortgage banker called me to take a "preliminary application" over the phone. She seems knowledgeable and friendly. But, seems new in her position. She said that this "pre-app" expedites the process during our finance review appointment scheduled for next Monday, March 15th. This weekend I will have to go through the checklist and collect the recordable pieces of my life on paper which they told me they care about. A necessary evil. But, a royal pain in the ass. They can talk the talk... on Monday, we'll see if they can walk the walk. Because, as you will soon learn, if you visit me here again(and I hope you will) at TTBK, I was born at night. But not last night

A BTK tangent... I made a comment about my mortgage banker that some might find condescending. Let me straighten that out right away. I LOVE smart women. I seek them out and leave the others to those men who can't cope. I am looking forward to working with this banker while understanding that she may not yet be the expert that she is destined to become.

Another life event. My son, BW, is coming home. Normally, a homecoming would be a happy time and to have him here so I can help certainly is the happy part. The reason for his homecoming, not so much. You see ... five years ago, BW launched a promising career as a Ph.D. candidate at a prominent midwestern university. However, this semester he lost his funding from the university and did not get the teaching assignment that he expected ( and probably deserved - father's prejudice, perhaps). With a terrible economy and a worse job market, he is forced to come home. This stark reality is enough to bring the most seasoned life-veteran to his knees.

For several weeks, BW "disappeared" and, I know now, sunk into a deep depression. After 3 weeks of silence and no responses to phone calls or e-mails. I had the local police execute a well-being check. Fortunately, they found him alive and stable. He called me shortly thereafter. That was last Thursday. He knows there is something wrong and that he needs help. We're working to bring him home as quickly as possible. Monday, BW / BFF called to ask if I'd heard from BW again. I had not. BW was to visit her this past weekend. He did not show up or call with regrets. While we were on the land line she received a text message from BW saying: glasses lost, ankle sprained.

This morning, on face book, I received a message from BW /BFF. She intimated that they had talked last night and formulated yet another exit-strategy. BW and I had done that before he " disappeared." I am to hear from him tonight. In fact I am waiting for a call, as I write, to get a progress update and to arrange to send money for the new glasses...

Only time will tell .........

BW doesn't remember this right now. But, I am his biggest fan. When his mind is right, no one can compete with him. He is one of the smartest people that I know of any age or education level on the planet. I am proud to have him for a son.

Thanks for your time and interest in reading ...please comment or ask questions if you like.
I hope there is something here that helps you. Because it helps me just write it.

If I hear from BW, more later.




No comments: