Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18, 2010

BTK Here. I promise I'll come up with better, more creative, titles. But for now, chronology works. Remember my son, BW, is a historian, one of those names, dates and places guys. When he comes home on Saturday, March 20th, he will surely throttle me to death for creating such a horrible stereotype of which he wants no part.

So, St. Paddy's Day. BP cooked the traditional Irish boiled dinner (i.e. corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots) . It's a perfect dish for the crockpot. I told BP that I might be willing to try to be the chef next year. Not to improve on the recipe, mind you, but just to prove that BTK could do it too ( with a crockpot). For all of you guys who think you can't cook, get yourself a crockpot. It comes with a simple recipe book. Like my dear departed P used to say, if you can read, you can cook, at least a little. Take the recipe to the store with you and collect the ingredients. Guys, you know what you like and the recipes help you to substitute or eliminate stuff you don't like. Pick one recipe and start there. Give your wives a break.

Outside the crockpot, I have actually been complemented on my " breakfast for dinner" . At my house, we like bacon, pancakes, hashbrowns, toast and eggs cooked to order, all of which I cook pretty well, I'm told.. We complement that with milk, juice, coffee (decaf for me) and some sort of decadent coffee cake for dessert. I know I have readers with dietary preferences or restrictions. So, when I cook (and clean up) for you, you get to pick, choose and substitute all you want. Schedule your next BTK Breakfast For Dinner, at your house, soon and send me your menu preferences.

On St. Paddy's, we stayed in for the evening. Listened to traditional music. Sipped some Irish whiskey and enjoyed the company of the evening. I typically don't go out except for a private party and, even then, not too far from home. Cops all over the world use this day as a way to make their monthly ticket quota. If you choose to challenge them with your compromised driving skills, then you deserve the consequences. I hope you all played it safe.

Today was a "back to work day". Productive? I'd say so. The technical nature of my job tells me that I need not share details and risk putting you all to sleep. Suffice to say, I earned my money today which is always a good feeling.

Today, my dear friend, C ( of C, K and the Littles) received an honorary PhD in EI from IL and is here by designated as an IL EI SuperMom by BTK. Congrats and luv u a lot. She will need a much larger business card soon. Printing bids are being accepted.

Tonght BP, AP and I attended a wake for the mother of a close friend. Mom lost her battle with cancer. During the visitation, while talking to people, I realized that this woman in her short 69 years had "really touched" every one she ever met, family and friends The pictures, the stories, the conversation through which we were attempting to celebrate her life, while great, seemed like not enough to bestow the "life credit" she was due.

She is now visiting with my P. I have asked my P to show her the "rookie ropes" up there. I hope they will be friends. I surely think that they could be and together bring peace and happiness to those here and those who will later follow them into eternity.

A true Irish wake. "the sun rose to meet her, the wind was at her back (how about this beautiful day) and she was, in fact, in heaven one half hour before the devil knew she was dead".

Tomorrow... house appraisal on my refinance .. my car comes home from the hospital.
Saturday .... BW comes home ....Yaaaaaaaay !!!

Thanks for reading ... please comment if you wish.




No comments: