Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 16, 2010

Today, BTK celebrated the 32nd anniversary of his 30th birthday. That is the last birthday I really choose to acknowledge. So, I observe it, as an anniversay, once a year on this date. So, many good wishes, cards and gifts from everyone. Thank you. A very special gift arrived via courier from C, K and the Littles (no, it's not a 50's doo-op group). Close friends that I love a lot. Thank you guys, very, very special.

BP and AP provided a fabulous birthday meal at a local spot (that we will definitely revisit) and a Willie Nelson 3-CD compilation set which has tracks that even I don't have (that's goin' some) and it kicks ass. I love Willy, always have, with his unique style for pickin', singing, writing and being himself. IMHO, no one better, just sayin'. I have started playing the guitar some again ( after a 25 year hiatus) and he is one of my idols. Even old guys are allowed to have those, ya' know.

Before work, I dropped my car off for repairs. Should be done by Friday. Another new experience, you see, I now drive with adaptive hand controls. So, the rental car option is complicated. You must call ahead and hope the representative you get on the phone knows what the hell you're talking about. If they don't have a vehicle in the region that Is properly adapted, you are out of luck. My driver's license has a restriction that requires a certain ( fairly common) configuration of adaptive equipment. Car rental companies are not required by the ADA to guarantee an accommodation. Maybe they should be ?? Perhaps, we'll talk about this more in the future. The repair shop gave me a ride home and will pick me up again when the car is repaired. At least someone remembers what customer service should be like.

Yes, I worked today. In my home office, I had the windows open and the sun shining on my workspace so it went fast. I have had more productive days. Just couldn't get in the groove. Tomorrow will be better.

This evening, I spoke with family who called to share birthday wishes.Thanks to them for that. Even though I am the oldest sibling and they tease me about being able to "count that high", I appreciate hearing from them.

Lastly, I spoke with BW. As I said yesterday, he is home in Madison preparing to come to Chicago on Saturday, March 20. He's making great progress with last-minute details. Right down to scrubbing the kitchen floor on his hands and knees. He said " the 40-year-old tile floor never looked better". I know that he's right about that. His mind continues to crank in a way that only BW can do. He's mentally multitasking ( thinking about today and tomorrow) and coming to some very practical conclusions and courses of action.

I can only hope for him that his glasses are ready tomorrow. With all of the other challenges he has faced recently, he has been "blind" ( i.e. reading the computer screen from 6 inches away) for the last week and a half. C'mon glasses..... He said something about "knowing how Stevie Wonder feels" . With glasses, he can go to the University and finish the required paperwork so that his journey toward a PhD remains uninterrupted when he comes to Chicago.

It's late, we're tired... you of my blabbering on and me of my blabbering on.

Thanks for reading.. please comment if you wish.







No comments: