Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 11, 2010

BTK here, again. So work begins and ends as expected.

But, as we talked about yesterday... life continues to happen.

BW e-mailed this morning to say that his bank balance was only $37 overdrawn. Refreshing. Previous reports yielded high three digit overdraft balances. So, I transferred some money so he can get around this week. BP and I will bring him home on March 20th. But he must be able to live till then. Fortunately, our checking accounts are in the same bank and transfers take a very small number of hours.

Remember, BW lost his glasses, did not have a spare and absolutely cannot see without them.

When I spoke to him mid-morning today, he had received the funds and had already secured an appointment to get replacement glasses and he hoped he could find a friend to give him a ride. (BW, clicking on all cyliders now, yay !) You, see, his vision is so bad that, although he could take the bus and ask the driver for help to get him to the correct stop, he would never find the store once he got off the bus. When I realized that while talking to him, I suggested that he get a duplicate pair as a backup and if he couldn't find a friend to drive him, just take a taxi. He readily agreed. I guess sometimes we don't realize our shortcomings until were confronted with them. We both learned a valuable lesson.

He ended up taking a taxi, there and back, and called me upon his return home. He apologized for spending the $32 it cost. I reassured him that $32 was a small price to pay for his safety. He agreed.

I spoke to BW's landlord to settle accounts. This guy has been more than fair and deserves to be paid. I will care for that. Because if BW can go back there in the future, he may need this guy. Not good to burn bridges when you don't have to.

BW continues his packing and is focused on coming home on March 20. He has some school paperwork to care for which he will do when he gets his glasses next Wednesday.

I am so glad that while life provides hurdles, it also provides ways to jump over them even for those of us who don't jump real well ( I'll explain those details another time).

Thanks again for reading. Please comment or ask questions if you like.

No comments: